Friday, October 12, 2007

Cuban band battles censorship

Cuban band battles censorship

By Mary Murray
NBC News Producer
Havana
Infosearch:
Fidel Nuñez
Analista
Jefe de Buró
Latinoamérica
Research Dept.
La Nueva Cuba
Octobre 11, 2007

A top Cuban rock band – "Moneda Dura" – is in trouble with government
censors. Someone decided their newest song is too controversial.
Presumably it's been perceived as too unfavorable to the Cuban
government – so it's been banned on all state-run airwaves.

But, the songwriter feels his work is misunderstood. "We did something
important, that mattered to the people who listen," said Nassiry Lugo,
the band leader.

The song is entitled "Mala Leche" – Cuban slang for "evil intentions."
It's the title track on their latest CD, released this summer on the
island's Egrem label.

Despite the official ban – or maybe helped by it – Mala Leche is gaining
fame.

Local fans are downloading the contraband from YouTube – and then,
sending it straight to the Cuban underground.

Proof that in today's high-tech world, censorship is no match for a good
song.


VIDEO: "Mala Leche" music video


And here is a translation of the "Mala Leche" lyrics:

Evil Intentions

It's 4 o'clock, the bus is still not here

People around me won't stop talking

and they drive you nuts

Sweat rolls down my ears

I'm talking about just another typical day

It's 6.45, I get on the crowded bus

Nauseated by the bad smell of the guy beside me

People pushing all the time

People with evil intentions

Others who hammer my ears

We're a mixture of grease and iron

We're like cows hurrying to the slaughter-house

We're like ants going into a hole

We're a ball of fire

I find people who live to make things worse for me

People who don't talk, only bark

People who spit words

If I don't hurt you, don't pick on me

If I don't hurt you, why your evil intentions?

Ah! Tell me what I did to you to make you target me

Relax and cooperate,

Can't operate on the fat in your brain

Don't take it so hard, your shouting unnerves me

Ah! But tell me, tell me

Why your evil intentions?

7 o'clock in the morning, I slowly eat breakfast

As if I lived in a palace

(Instead of) this tenement and its noise

The lights are still not on

Without a doubt, today will be fun

I spend 15 minutes spying on my neighbour

I get turned on and she doesn't even look at me

The electricity bill is killing me

But what can I do, if living is also killing me

Now my brain is in a coma

Now my life is a car without tires

Now I was so happy with my vices

All is well when I'm immoveable

I don't bring solutions, I don't give surprises

Why am I to be blamed because of your headaches

If we're doing the same, don't obsess on me

Give your brain a chance to relax

We come from a unique lineage

If we're the heat that burns deeply,

Why don't we treat each other as brothers

My heart beats when they call me Cuban

<http://www.lanuevacuba.com/nuevacuba/notic-07-10-1151.htm>
http://www.lanuevacuba.com/nuevacuba/notic-07-10-1151.htm

No comments: